Innovative solutions are cultivated by collaboration that builds upon each person’s knowledge, experiences, and creativity, and working together toward our common mission of remaking medicine.Rona Anhalt Chief People Officer
Director, External Manufacturing
EQRx believes responsibility can be revolutionary. Want to make a difference while advancing your career? Come join a team that is working towards our bold mission of developing innovative medicines at radically low prices to help people get the medicines they need.
Who We Are
We're a new kind of biotech, one with a bold mission to bring innovative new medicines at dramatically lower costs.
What You’ll Do
You will manage a group in charge of clinical contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs). You’ll have responsibility for all EQRx clinical CMOs operating in scope for small molecule, gene therapy, oligonucleotides, and biologics for Phase 1-Phase 3. This includes CMOs across all modes of production (cell banks, plasmids, drug substance, drug product and finished products). You will run the overall governance for CMOs in scope of concerned manufacturing platform, ensuring overall performance improvement, risk identification and mitigation. Together with other members of the governance team (Sourcing, Quality, Planning), you’ll decide on network allocation. You will represent external manufacturing at concerned asset management teams.
You will manage the team responsible the relationship with specified Contract Manufacturing Organization(s) for the entire manufacturing platform. This will include setting goals, aligning expectations, and working principles to ensure appropriate execution. You will manage the contract setup, negotiation and maintenance (in collaboration with the Sourcing team). You will also manage the budget for contracted activities, including negotiation of initial and revised prices. You will manage and solving potential disagreements, contract breaches etc. and assure that interfaces between EQRx and CMO processes are functional and efficient.
You will manage the team leading the cross-functional virtual plant teams consisting of representatives of External Manufacturing, Planning, Logistics, Quality, Manufacturing Sciences and ad hoc members. You will work to ensure the on time and in full delivery of clinical and commercial products, resolution of operational issues e.g., deviations, corrective and preventive actions and production delays, etc. You will manage the alignment of production planning with planned CMO production and follow-up of change control implementation in line with regulatory and stock management constraints. You will manage the team running the CMO governance team responsible for monitoring site performance according to standard KPIs. You will manage negotiating metrics targets with CMO and bringing CMO(s)’ performance / maintaining it to EQRx’s expectations. You will identify quality / technical / business / EHS risks and related mitigation and corrective actions and ensure implementation of such actions at CMO(s) and EQRx. You will participate in or lead other teams to drive projects and strategy building, both internally and externally as they relate to the relevant API, Drug Product, device assembly or labelling and packaging operations. You will be the lead representative for due diligence and sourcing activities in relation with the manufacturing platform and will act as the backup for the Head of External Manufacturing.
The Impact You Will Have
This is not your standard External Manufacturing leadership
position. This position is a highly visible role and of significant impact to the company. We are on a critical mission to bring quality solutions to patients at a fraction of the price. This role will help us drive forward towards that pinnacle goal of truly putting patients first.
- You have a degree in Life Science, Quality or Engineering.
- You have a minimum 12 - 15 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical cGMP manufacturing industry.
- You have experience with supplier relationship management.
- You have demonstrated team management skills (direct and matrix reports).
- You have demonstrated project leadership skills and ability to develop effective working processes and relationships with internal/external partners and cross-functional project teams.
- You are an outstanding negotiator.
- You have experience within Clinical Manufacturing.
- You can understand technical processes (manufacturing, QC testing), planning and logistics processes, GMP and regulatory requirements and connect them together in scope of driving the business aspects.
- You have the business / financial knowledge to manage contracts, disputes.
- You can participate and work effectively on multiple cross-functional teams.
- You have strong interpersonal skills - you understand relationships are key and are a team player who is willing to roll-up your sleeves and get the job done.
- You are a leader. Teams love working with you and you take pride in mentoring and supporting the careers of others.
- You can thrive in a smaller company environment and love the pace of a startup
Are you bold enough?
Your work should matter and allow you the freedom to be 100% you. We spend too much time and effort in our career to not feel excited and proud about what we do and who we do it with. In other words, your career is too important for your next move to be just another job, so let’s work together to change the world and bring affordable medicines to all patients.
We aren’t about a bunch of empty slogans on a wall or words on a coffee cup – you can find that in lots of places. We are a culture of individuals with diverse backgrounds and personalities.
Are you ready to think differently and embrace the journey?
It’s (mutually) beneficial.
You’re curious about what sets us apart from the rest. What do you get from working at EQRx?
So, let’s start big—working at EQRx means having the opportunity to change the world.
By joining a team that’s remaking medicine development from start to finish, you’re going to enjoy the daily rush of throwing caution to the wind and doing things differently by:
- Working with the smartest game-changers in the industry
- Cutting down the red tape of “the way things are done”
- Seeing and feeling the daily impact of your work
- Growing as a professional and a person
- Committing to neverending social responsibility
And, yes—we also have a killer list of things that’ll help you shine as part of the team.
But to us, these are just table stakes.
- 100% Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Free snacks and drinks
*As EQRx grows, please note that some of these are subject to change.
Stay in the Loop
Follow us on social.
50 Hampshire Street
Cambridge, MA 02139